Blepahrospasm, commonly called eye twitching is the involuntary movement of the eye muscles. There are various ca uses for the eye twitching and some of them are stress, fatigue, lack of nutrients, lack of sleep, genetic problems, excessive consumption of alcohol and caffeine, etc. A case of eye twitching can last from a few hours to many years. This depends upon the severity of the condition and this needs immediate attention at the beginning stages. Eye twitching can be cured by both surgical and non surgical methods of getting rid of eye twitching. Here are a few methods by which you can get rid of eye twitching.
- Though there are many non-surgical and simple methods of treating eye twitch, you can cure the involuntary movement in the eye using surgery. However, this surgery is performed only when the case is too severe. The surgery that is done for the purpose is called myectomy. This surgery involves the removal of a few muscles that are present around the eyes.
- Botox injections are another way of bringing the eye twitching under control. Since the botox injections tighten the muscles around the eye there is least possibility for the eye twitches to take place.
- Another remedy that you can follow by yourself is to reduce the amount of time spent in front of the television so that there is some rest given to the eyes. Even those who spend long hours working with computers are equally prone to eye twitching and need to give their eyes some rest from time to time.
- Increase the number of sleeping hours as it is one of the best ways of keeping away from the twitching issues. A minimum of seven hours is required for every person everyday.
- You can also practice eye exercises that can bring about relief to your stressed out eyes. Concentrate on a distant object and then gently rub the eyes in clockwise and anti clockwise direction slowly. This relaxes your eyes to a great extent.
- Include a lot of nutritious food to your diet. Fresh fruits and vegetables give the required nutrients for the body and reduce the twitching in the eye. You can also consume supplements for vitamins and potassium to stop eye twitching.
- One of the best home remedies that can help in getting rid of the problem is to have bananas. The high content of potassium and zinc curbs the twitching in the eye.
- Placing a thin slice of potato or cucumber over the eyes for a few minutes may give a great relaxation to the eye muscles.
- You can also soak cotton eye pads in rose water and place it over the eyes for the relief. Keep washing your eyes with cool water every not and then to keep the strain away from your eyes.